Thursday, May 01, 2008

Pocket diapers

I often get asked about our diapers people think it is gross or dirty or time consuming. I must admit that before I committed to this I had all these thought. Someone asked for a descriprion of what a pocket diaper was. I thought I would answer here.

A pocket diaper is a type of cloth diaper. This is mostly what we use. It has a outer PUL (waterproof but breathable) liner. Also an inside layer of Micro flees or suede cloth. There is a sot in it that you put stuffing into. They make liners for this. You stuff them and then put them on your child like a regular disposable diaper. When you change them, if it is just wet you take the liners out and place all of it in a pail or wetbag. If it is dirty you can scrape it off into the toilet or we have a diaper sprayer that attaches to the water source on the toilet. We just spray off the poop (sorry!) and then we take out the liner and place both in the pail or wetbag. I do a load of diapers every other day. I just throw it all in and do a cold rinse, then I wash with Biopac or charlies soap and maybe a spray of bio clean. Thats it they are clean and good as new. We did some searching for which diapers we liked best. I think a lot of this depends on your baby's shape and your own personal likes and dislikes. We now use all Green Acre Designs, Blueberry side snap pockets and berry Plush minkees.
It really is easy and very clean.
Heidi

No comments: